Whether or not you’re a brand new scholar, a thriving startup, or the most important enterprise, you might have monetary constraints, and you’ll want to know what you’re spending, the place it’s being spent, and easy methods to plan for the longer term. No one needs a shock relating to the invoice, and that is the place Microsoft Value Administration is available in.
We’re all the time on the lookout for methods to be taught extra about your challenges and the way Microsoft Value Administration can assist you higher perceive the place you’re accruing prices within the cloud, determine and forestall unhealthy spending patterns, and optimize prices to empower you to do extra with much less.
On this month’s version, we’ll cowl a few of the updates from the earlier month and offer you a preview of what we’re planning for Microsoft Ignite 2023. Take pleasure in studying!
Introducing value views for Azure Kubernetes service (AKS)
We all know that Kubernetes include quite a lot of value advantages and continues to achieve recognition. Groups run their functions on a single cluster sharing the infrastructure prices and scaling capability solely when load calls for. Speaking to our prospects, we perceive that whereas this shared computing mannequin is nice for value financial savings, it poses challenges for them to achieve visibility into granular prices based mostly on Kubernetes’ entities. For example, groups working a number of functions on a cluster have visibility into infrastructure prices of the cluster utilizing value evaluation or value studies, they nonetheless lack visibility into prices incurred by every utility making value allocation and optimization very tough.
To deal with these challenges, we’re thrilled to announce that the preview of the Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) value views can be accessible beginning on November 14, 2023. You’ll achieve visibility into the prices of namespaces and an aggregated view of the prices of belongings throughout the cluster. These views can be accessible in Value evaluation throughout the Azure portal, an expertise which you’re already conversant in. It would make analyzing and allocating prices in your cluster a lot simpler.
That is just the start of our journey to allow granular visibility into AKS prices, we’ll proceed so as to add further capabilities for AKS value administration.
Please search for an Azure update regarding this launch in the week of November 13, 2023.
Improvements to cost management exports
Announcing an improved exports experience designed to streamline your FinOps practice. With automatic exports of additional cost-impacting datasets, the updated exports are optimized to handle large datasets while enhancing the user experience.
You can export additional datasets, including price sheets, reservation recommendations, reservation details, and reservation transactions. Furthermore, you can download cost and usage details using the open-source FinOps Open Cost and Usage Specification (FOCUS) format, which combines actual and amortized costs and reduces data processing times and storage and compute costs.
With the enhanced user interface, you can easily create multiple exports for various cost management datasets using a single, simplified create experience. Moreover, you have the option to selectively rerun an existing Export job for a historical date range instead of creating a new one-time export of the required date range.
FinOps datasets can be large and challenging to manage. You can easily handle large datasets through features like file partitioning, that breaks the file into manageable chunks and file overwrite for daily exports, which replaces the previous day’s file with an updated file each day and the upcoming support for Parquet format and file compression. These optimizations improve file manageability, reduce download latency, and help you save on storage and network charges.
You can choose the latest or any of the previous dataset schema versions during the export creation. This ensures that the data processing layers that you have built on top of these datasets can be reused without compromising on the latest API functionality.
You can enhance security and compliance by configuring exports to storage accounts behind a firewall which provides access control for the public endpoint of the storage account.
The exports preview will be rolled out over the coming months. If you’re interested in getting access to the upcoming preview, sign up today. Also, stay tuned for updates in Azure updates to remain informed about the latest enhancements and features.
Pricing updates on Azure
Many new additions have made it into our Azure pricing experiences, and we’re thrilled to share with you some notable updates that will make it even easier for you to estimate the costs of your solutions. Here are some highlights:
- Azure Container Apps now includes Savings Plan, giving you more options to save on your costs.
- We’re excited to offer limited-time discounts on select Linux Dv5 and Ev5 virtual machine (VM) series in Sweden Central region and Dv3 VMs in United States West region, with up to 50 percent savings on one-year reserved pricing.
- We’ve launched pricing pages for two new services: Microsoft Playwright Testing and HDInsight on AKS. Additionally, the Form Recognizer page has been rebranded to Azure AI Document Intelligence.
- We’ve added four new services to the Azure Pricing Calculator, including Dev Box, Microsoft Playwright Testing, Azure AI Content Safety, and Microsoft Graph Data Connect.
- Managed Lustre and the VM series’ Bpsv2, Bs v2, and Basv2 series now show their new generally available prices.
- Azure Communication Services has revamped their pricing page and added pricing for several new services, including Advanced Messaging (in preview), Job routing, and number lookup.
- Many services have exciting updates too, including Azure AI Speech (new Text Batch pricing offers), VMWare Solutions (five year reserved instance (RI) pricing added), Azure Notification Hubs (new availability zone feature), App Service (new Isolated v2 Memory Optimized SKUs), Microsoft Defender (Malware scanning add on offer), Azure Open AI (new AI models added), Netapp Files (cool tier added), Ubuntu Pro Linux (new license offer), Event Grid (added Standard (namespace) capabilities), Express Route (added the Traffic Collector offer), Cache for Redis (new Enterprise SKUs), Azure Arc (new Extended Security updates), Data lake Storage Gen2 (added GZRS and RA-GZRS Redundancies), SQL DB (a new Freemium offer), Microsoft Fabric (new “OneLake” storage offer), Databricks (new pre-purchase plan and new compute SKUs available for Photon jobs), API Management (new Standard v2 offers), Azure Monitor (new Commitment Tiers), Language Service (new Customer NER and Text Analytics for health Offers), and Cosmos DB (new multi-node storage options).
We’re committed to continually improving our pricing tools to make them more accessible and user-friendly for our customers. We hope these changes will help you estimate the costs for your Azure solutions more accurately. As always, we welcome your feedback and suggestions for future improvements. Thank you for choosing Azure as your cloud platform!
With Cost Management Labs, you get a sneak peek at what’s coming in Microsoft Cost Management and can engage directly with us to share feedback and help us better understand how you use the service, so we can deliver more tuned and optimized experiences. Here are a few features you can see in Cost Management Labs:
Drill into your cost data with one click using Cost analysis smart views. You can drill into a row to view the full details, view related resources from the context menu (three dots), open the resource to manage it from the Go to menu, remove filters using the Customize command, and use the Back command to undo a change. You can enable this option from the Try preview menu.
- Currency selection in Cost analysis smart views
View your non-USD charges in USD or switch between the currencies you have charges in to view the total cost for that currency only. To change currency, select Customize at the top of the view and select the currency you would like to apply. Currency selection is not applicable to those with only USD charges. Currency selection is enabled by default in Labs. If not enabled for you, enable currency selection from the Try preview menu.
Try Cost Management labs today.
New ways to save money in the Microsoft Cloud
Here are new and updated offers you might be interested in for your cost optimization needs.
Here are a few documentation updates for cost management you might be interested in:
Want to keep an eye on all documentation updates? Check out the Cost Management and Billing documentation change history in the azure-docs repository on GitHub. If you see something missing, select Edit at the top of the document and submit a quick pull request. You can also submit a GitHub issue. We welcome and appreciate all contributions!
These are just a few of the big updates from last month. Don’t forget to check out the previous Microsoft Cost Management updates. We’re always listening and making constant improvements based on your feedback, so please keep the feedback coming.
Follow Microsoft Cost Management on Twitter and subscribe to the YouTube channel for updates, suggestions, and methods. You can even share concepts and vote up others within the Value Administration suggestions discussion board or be a part of the analysis panel to take part in a future examine and assist form the way forward for Microsoft Value Administration.
Greatest needs from the Microsoft Value Administration workforce.