As organizations embark on cloud-centric enterprise transformation to turn out to be extra agile and operationally environment friendly, software modernization is quick turning into a cornerstone to understand these targets. On this weblog, we’ll see how the Azure Migrate: App Containerization device helps you speed up software modernization as you migrate functions to Azure.
With Azure, you’ve the pliability to select from quite a lot of internet hosting choices to your functions spanning the spectrum of infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS), containers-as-a-service (CaaS), and serverless. Azure choices corresponding to Azure App Service and Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) are serving to software builders concentrate on fixing crucial enterprise issues. With built-in infrastructure upkeep, safety patching, and scaling, Azure App Service is a purpose-built platform for working web-based functions. Azure App Service has native help for the preferred software frameworks and moreover permits you to additionally run containerized functions utilizing customized Home windows or Linux containers. AKS is a good selection for working containerized functions if you need extra management over your infrastructure.
Containers have turn out to be extraordinarily standard for constructing and managing fashionable functions. Deploying functions as containers permits software homeowners and IT decision-makers to understand constant, dependable, and repeatable deployments throughout environments. Advantages additionally embody improved infrastructure utilization and standardization of administration practices via higher separation of considerations. Prospects are more and more utilizing containers as models of software deployment not just for distributed functions designed to make use of microservices structure but additionally for different functions that they re-platform with out important alterations. Re-platforming is commonly step one earlier than embarking on additional modernization of the appliance. Prospects more and more choose to re-platform to containers in lots of circumstances the place totally rearchitecting or refactoring an software will not be essential or prudent.
At Microsoft Ignite earlier this 12 months, we introduced the preview of the Azure Migrate: App Containerization device that can assist you simply containerize and migrate apps to AKS. Based mostly on the suggestions we’ve obtained, as we speak we’re saying a number of enhancements to the preview.
Repackage functions with Azure Migrate: App Containerization
The App Containerization device affords a point-and-containerize strategy to repackage functions as containers with minimal to no code modifications through the use of the working state of the appliance. The device at present helps containerizing ASP.NET functions and Java internet functions working on Apache Tomcat.
Determine 1: Modernization capabilities of Azure Migrate: App Containerization
The device permits you to:
- Remotely connect with the appliance server to find functions and their configurations utilizing the standalone App Containerization utility.
- Parameterize software configurations and dependencies corresponding to database connection strings to facilitate constant and repeatable deployments.
- Externalize static content material and software state saved on the file system by shifting them to persistent storage.
- Construct and publish container photographs utilizing Azure Container Registry duties.
- Customise and reuse tool-generated artifacts corresponding to Dockerfiles, container photographs, and Kubernetes useful resource definition information for day two operations and combine them straight into your steady integration and steady supply (CI/CD) pipeline.
Determine 2: Downloadable and reusable artifacts for Day 2 operations
New enhancements for software deployment and administration
With the newest launch of the device, now you can:
- Deploy containerized functions to Azure App Service containers or AKS.
- Use Azure Key Vault to handle software secrets and techniques corresponding to certificates and parameterized configurations. You may also select to make use of Kubernetes secrets and techniques or Azure App Service software settings to handle your secrets and techniques.
- Mechanically combine software monitoring for Java apps with Azure Utility Insights.
Determine three: Mechanically allow software monitoring with Azure Utility Insights
With these enhancements, we have now made it simpler so that you can containerize non-containerized functions and migrate them to Azure. The Azure Migrate: App Containerization device supplies a templatized course of to re-platform your functions and accelerates your modernization journey with Azure. Attempt it out as we speak.
We’d love to listen to your suggestions. Tell us what you assume through the use of this type.