In November 2021, we launched the memory-optimized Amazon EC2 R6i cases, our sixth-generation x86-based providing powered by third Era Intel Xeon Scalable processors (code named Ice Lake).
Right this moment I’m excited to announce a disk variant of the R6i occasion: the Amazon EC2 R6id cases with non-volatile reminiscence specific (NVMe) SSD native occasion storage. The R6id cases are designed to energy purposes that require low storage latency or require non permanent swap house.
Clients with workloads that require entry to high-speed, low-latency storage, together with those who want non permanent storage for scratch house, non permanent recordsdata, and caches, have the choice to decide on the R6id cases with NVMe native occasion storage of as much as 7.6 TB. The brand new cases are additionally out there as bare-metal cases to help workloads that profit from direct entry to bodily sources.
Right here’s some background on what led to the event of the sixth-generation cases. Our prospects who’re at present utilizing fifth-generation cases are on the lookout for the next:
- Increased Compute Efficiency – Increased CPU efficiency to enhance latency and processing time for his or her workloads
- Improved Worth Efficiency – Clients are very delicate to cost efficiency to optimize prices
- Bigger Sizes – Clients require bigger sizes to scale their enterprise databases
- Increased Amazon EBS Efficiency – Clients have requested larger Amazon EBS throughput (“a minimum of double”) to enhance response instances for his or her analytics purposes
- Native Storage – Massive prospects have expressed a necessity for extra native storage per vCPU
Sixth-generation cases handle these necessities by providing generational enchancment throughout the board, together with 15 % enhance in worth efficiency, 33 % extra vCPUs, as much as 1 TB reminiscence, 2x networking efficiency, 2x EBS efficiency, and international availability.
In comparison with R5d cases, the R6id cases supply:
- Bigger occasion measurement (.32xlarge) with 128 vCPUs and 1024 GiB of reminiscence, enabling prospects to consolidate their workloads and scale up purposes.
- As much as 15 % enchancment in compute worth efficiency and 20 % larger reminiscence bandwidth.
- As much as 58 % larger storage per vCPU and 34 % decrease value per TB.
- As much as 50 Gbps community bandwidth and as much as 40 Gbps EBS bandwidth; EBS burst bandwidth help for sizes as much as .4xlarge.
- At all times-on reminiscence encryption.
- Help for brand spanking new Intel Superior Vector Extensions (AVX 512) directions corresponding to VAES, VCLMUL, VPCLMULQDQ, and GFNI for sooner execution of cryptographic algorithms corresponding to these utilized in IPSec and TLS implementations.
The detailed specs of the R6id cases are as follows:
Native NVMe SSD Storage (GB)
EBS Throughput (Gbps)
Community Bandwidth (Gbps)
|r6id.massive||2||16||1 x 118||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.xlarge||four||32||1 x 237||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.2xlarge||eight||64||1 x 474||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.4xlarge||16||128||1 x 950||As much as 10||As much as 12.5|
|r6id.8xlarge||32||256||1 x 1900||10||12.5|
|r6id.12xlarge||48||384||2 x 1425||15||18.75|
|r6id.16xlarge||64||512||2 x 1900||20||25|
|r6id.24xlarge||96||768||four x 1425||30||37.5|
|r6id.32xlarge||128||1024||four x 1900||40||50|
|r6id.steel||128||1024||four x 1900||40||50|
Now out there
The R6id cases can be found immediately within the AWS US East (Ohio), US East (N.Virginia), US West (Oregon), and Europe (Eire) Areas as On-Demand, Spot, and Reserved Cases or as a part of a Financial savings Plan. As typical, with EC2, you pay for what you utilize. For extra data, see the Amazon EC2 pricing web page.
To be taught extra, go to our Amazon EC2 R6i cases web page, and please ship suggestions to AWS re:Put up for EC2 or by your typical AWS Help contacts.
– Veliswa x