Digital Design Automation (EDA) workloads require excessive computing efficiency and a big reminiscence footprint. These workloads are delicate to quicker CPU efficiency and better clock speeds because the quicker efficiency permits extra jobs to be accomplished on the decrease variety of cores. At AWS re:Invent 2020, we launched Amazon EC2 M5zn situations which use second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable (Cascade Lake) processors with an all-core turbo clock frequency of as much as four.5 GHz, which is the quickest of any cloud occasion.
Our clients have loved the excessive single-threaded efficiency, high-speed networking, and balanced memory-to-vCPU ratio of EC2 M5zn situations. They’ve requested for situations that may leverage these options whereas additionally offering them a better reminiscence footprint per vCPU.
At the moment, we’re launching Amazon EC2 X2iezn situations, which use the identical Intel Xeon Scalable processors as M5zn situations, with an all-core turbo clock frequency of four.5 GHz and as much as 1.5 TiB of reminiscence, which is the quickest of any cloud occasion for EDA workloads. These situations are able to delivering as much as 55 p.c higher price-performance per vCPU in comparison with X1e situations.
X2iezn situations supply 32 GiB of reminiscence per vCPU and can assist as much as 48 vCPUs and 1536 GiB of reminiscence. Constructed on the AWS Nitro, they ship as much as 100 Gbps of networking bandwidth and 19 Gbps of devoted Amazon EBS bandwidth to enhance efficiency for EDA functions.
You might need seen that we’re now utilizing the “i” suffix within the occasion kind to specify that the situations are utilizing an Intel processor, “e” within the memory-optimized occasion household to point prolonged reminiscence, “z” which signifies high-frequency processors, and “n” to assist increased community bandwidth as much as 100 Gbps.
X2iezn situations are VPC solely, HVM-only, and EBS-Optimized, with assist for Optimize vCPU. As you may see, the memory-to-vCPU ratio on these situations is similar as that of previous-generation X1e situations:
|Occasion Title||vCPUs||RAM (GiB)||Community Bandwidth (Gbps)||EBS-Optimized Bandwidth (Gbps)|
|x2iezn.2xlarge||eight||256||As much as 25||three.170|
|x2iezn.4xlarge||16||512||As much as 25||four.750|
Many purchasers will be capable to profit from utilizing X2iezn situations to enhance efficiency and effectivity for his or her EDA workloads. Listed here are some examples:
- Annapurna Labs examined the X2iezn situations with Calibre’s Design Rule Checking, which has proven a 40 p.c quicker runtime in comparison with X1e situations, and a 25 p.c quicker runtime over R5d situations.
- Astera Labs is a fabless, cloud-based semiconductor firm creating purpose-built CXL, PCIe, and Ethernet connectivity options for data-centric techniques. They had been capable of see efficiency good points of as much as 25 p.c in comparison with related EDA workloads operating on R5 situations.
- Cadence examined the X2iezn situations utilizing their Pegasus True Cloud function, which permits designers to run bodily verification jobs on the cloud and noticed a 50 p.c efficiency enchancment over R5 situations. They see X2iezn situations as a wonderful setting for testing EDA workloads.
- NXP Semiconductors labored with AWS to run their Calibre and Spectre workloads on Amazon EC2 X2iezn situations, which measured 10-15 p.c increased efficiency utilizing X2iezn situations in comparison with their on-premises, Xeon Gold 6254 with max turbo frequency of four.0GHz.
- Siemens EDA labored with AWS to check the brand new Amazon EC2 X2iezn HPC/EDA targeted situations with the trade efficiency and sign-off chief Calibre evaluating superior node DRC workloads. They had been happy to show efficiency enhancements of as much as 14% utilizing the four.5 GHz all core turbo frequency of X2iezn situations for all VMs within the run. Moreover, they efficiently demonstrated using a heterogeneous server configuration utilizing the X2iezn as the first node and different decrease reminiscence VMs for distant compute – offering an 11% pace up and enticing worth. These outcomes confirmed the X2iezn is an effective match for main server EDA workloads for Calibre Bodily and Circuit verification functions.
- Synopsys IC Validator offers extremely scalable high-performance bodily verification signoff. They achieved 15 p.c efficiency enchancment, scalability to 1000s of cores, and 30 p.c higher effectivity utilizing IC Validator’s distinctive elastic CPU administration know-how versus R5d situations.
Issues to Know
Listed here are some enjoyable details in regards to the X2iezn situations:
Optimizing CPU—You’ll be able to disable Intel Hyper-Threading Expertise for workloads that carry out properly with single-threaded CPUs, like some HPC functions.
NUMA—You may make use of non-uniform reminiscence entry (NUMA) on x2iezn.12xlarge situations. This superior function is price exploring you probably have a deep understanding of your utility’s reminiscence entry patterns.
Out there Now
Amazon EC2 X2iezn situations are actually obtainable within the US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), and Europe (Eire) Areas. You need to use On-Demand Cases, Reserved Cases, Financial savings Plan, and Spot Cases. Devoted Cases and Devoted Hosts are additionally obtainable.
To study extra, go to our EC2 X2i Cases web page, and please ship suggestions to the AWS discussion board for EC2 or by your typical AWS Help contacts.